Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual com port not working
I am using a Getac rugged laptop with an integrated GPS which is internally available on COM2. On the Getac laptop VGPS software is standard installed which has the possibility to share the GPS data on max 5 virtual com ports.
If the VGPS software is disabled the BktTimeSync software is working fine on COM2, however if the VGPS software is enabled the BktTimeSync software is not working on any of the virtual come ports created by VGPS. All other software which uses GPS works fine on the virtual com ports, including the timesync software GPS2Time developed by VK4ADC.
Is there a workaround for this issue?
Regards, Frank (PE0FK)
Hi Frank,
BktTimeSync, in order to adjust the time on the PC, is started with administrative rights; this could preclude the sharing of the COM with other programs.
73 de Mauro, IZ2BKT
Hi Mauro,
To be more precise BktTimeSync is not sharing a COM port with any other program.
As explained in my previous post, the VGPS software makes sure to share the GPS comport COM2 to maximum 5 virtual com ports.
I try to connect BktTimeSync to one of these virtual com ports without success. It seems to connect (no error message) but does not retrieve GPS information while other programs which require GPS data do connect and work correctly. (GPS2Time developped by VK4ADC)
Kind regards,
Frank (PE0FK)
Thanks for the clarification, but the concept remains the same. A virtual port is a software-managed port. Additionally, BktTimeSync cannot be run with non-administrator privileges, as it requires these privileges to adjust the PC's time. Unfortunately, to provide a precise answer, I would need to have a device like yours to debug the issue.
73 de Mauro, IZ2BKT